The relation between people and spaces
It all starts on nthe walk near majestic. Evolution of cities highly depend on their geographical importance and the people that inhabit the city. The same thing can be said about the spaces , their existence and evolution depend highly on the people that inhabit the space. When majestic was huge lake people needed its water for daily use but when there was a need for a bus stand the lake was replaced by a huge concrete surface….that means as the need changed the purpose of space changed and so did tha space.
People migrate ton different cities and spaces in that cities for various needs and existence of that space then depend on the people’s existence. I met this guy in KR market who migrated from Mumbai to Bangalore, as the company that he used to work in was caught in gang war in Mumbai and so out of fear and anxiety he came and settled in bangalore. he left the city that he was born and brought up in to save his life, and when asked about it he says..” Ab Bombay main kuchh nahi raha ……saari jo company hai woh to bandh pad rahi hai….ab Bombay posh hone laga hai….mujhe achha nahi lagta waha jaane main….aur yahape, Bangalore main to ab settle ho gaya hu… weather bhi achha hain….aur kya chahiye?”
As cities evolve , people either adapt to the new conditions or they migrate to other cities that suit them.
They find peace and harmony….
Work from Mahendra bhai’s workshop:
This is the piece of work that i did at the end of the workshop. In this piece he wanted us to work on three words that represented KR market in three different scripts. So i chose green, leafe and brown in Marathi, Bengali, and Gujrati respectively.
this is a practice sheet. the script is Devnagari and the language is Marathi. this is a sheet that i tried writing
with reed pen.
1. I think more than spaces it was roles that were exchanged.I was trying to be one of them. So i helped a tailor called Kumar. But i think it was not just with one person but it was with a group of people.
2. while getting ready for the sesion, i considered dressing up like a tailor that i was helping but also like people around him.
3. I just went and sat with the tailor. So imn the begining i told him what i intend to do. So i told him that i wanted to work with him. But he was quite apprehensive about this thing. But then he was fine with it and he thought me various things in stitching. He introduced me to people that came to his shop. He wanted to know me better and he was quite open , like he used tonm scold me when i made mistake while learning. So we both wre trying to know each other.
4. It was quite an experience asas we did not know what is gonna happen. Well came and they were talking to me in Kannada and Tamil and then he had to reply as i do not know both the languages. We had built a mutual understanding at least for that moment.
5. When we shed all the luggage that we come with and when we just become nobody, it is easier to understand what we are getting out of a person or a space. There are certain things that a soace teaches you and you believe in those. Like nobody told these shopkeepers to trust anuone and everyone that interact with them. But they believe in the space they inhibit , work or live in.
Responce to Lata mani:
the discussion started with reading “trash” and then it took some very beautiful turns like Lata Mani’s life and also the whole thing about sacred and secular. Now it was very difficult to write down each every point that she was making while guiding that discussion through.
So following are the thoughts that remain with me now…..
there was this issue that was raised in that discussion about how whatever information we receive should be subjected to contemplation. It can save lot of errors that our mind makes when we write off some one or some things and also it can save us from the embarrassment that we have to face after the truth comes to surface. Itis just not useful in such situations but when we put the information under check it also reveals alot of different perspectives, which otherwise we fail to look into or look from and also it helps us understand the issue much better. It ias also seen that when we contemplate on something we ourselves know the issue or information better.
Then i asked a question about Secularism being a lifestyle. It looks like it is. I mean a certain class in Indian society atlest can only afford to be seccular and i don’t just mean secular by religion but can have a purely secular lifestyle. In this case i mean secular to be non biased. So this means secular can have a lot of meanings and attributes attached to it. These attributes can be anything like a bias. This also makes me think on is there a difference between secular thibking and secular living or a secular lifestyle. Well on a surface yes there is. I sometimes think that secular living can not be achieved by living in this material world and not many of us perform what we think. I am saying this is because the life is so difficult for some people in India that they can not help but do anything for survival.